English Language Teaching Methods and Reforms in English Curriculum in Iraq; an Overview
Language teaching curriculum and teaching methods is a complex process. This process needs the utility of a number of linguistic, psychological, sociological, pedagogical, and political disciplines. Also, a curriculum-designer has to answer the need of the theory. It also needs cooperative efforts in which experienced English language teachers move together with specialists in the subject-matter. (Corder, 1973:13)
This paper aims to shed light on the history of English curriculum in Iraq and on the phases of reform it has witnessed. English language teaching methods (traditional and recent) in this country will be discussed as well.
2. Al-Chalabi , S. A. ( 1976 ) Teaching English as a Foreign Language In Iraq with Emphasis on the inService Training of Secondary Schools Teachers of English. Baghdad : Dar Al-Jahidh Press.
3. Corder, S. P. (1973). Introducing applied linguistics. Penguin Books.
4. Finocchiaro, M., &Brumfit, C. (1983). The functional-notional approach: From theory to practice. Oxford University Press.
5. Kurdistan (2013). A Summary on Kurdistan Regionaal Goverment, Retrieved from http://www.krg.org/
6. Larsen – Freeman , Diana ( 1986 ) Techniques and Principles In Language Teaching. New York: OUP.
7. M.Amin, M. (2014).The effectiveness of ‘Training course for English language teachers in Iraqi Kurdistan’; Motivation and Improving Teachers’ Confidence, Unpublished article. Eastern Mediterranean University. Gazimagusta . Northern Cyprus.
8. M.Amin, M. (2015).A study on the problems faced by novice teachers in the first year of their career in Iraqi Kurdistan. Unpublished article, Eastern Mediterranean University. Gazimagusta . Northern Cyprus.
9. Ramadhan, Kh. Y. ( 2001 ) Evaluation The Efficiency of ELT Methodology Syllabus For TTIS in The light of the Primary School (EFL) Objectives, Unpublished Ph. D. Dissertation. Baghdad: The College of Education Ibn Rushd ).
10. Rivers , Wilga M. ( 1980 ) Teachers Foreign – Language Skills.Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
11. Sunrise for Kurdistan. (n.d). (Macmillan Education) Retrieved from http://www.sunrisekurdistan.com/.
12. Zughoul, M. R. (2003). Globalization and EFL/ESL pedagogy in the Arab World. Language Learning Journal 1(2):106-146 · January 2003
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.